Banana Flax Seed Muffins
I can’t believe we are already having to think about back to school. Not only does it mean summer is over and cooler weather is on the way but it also means back to packing lunches. I am always looking for new go-to recipes to make mornings easier. This recipe for banana flax seed muffins is definitely one of my go-to recipes.
This recipe can be used for either muffins or a loaf, you just need to adjust your cooking time accordingly. It’s super easy to prepare and you can add chocolate chips or nuts for variation.
Just start with those browning bananas that we all tend to have sitting around and mash them up well in a large bowl. When I have a bunch of bananas, I will make multiple batches and then throw them in the freezer and just pull them out when needed.
You then add the rest of our ingredients and mix it all together well. The flax seed will give you that extra boost of Omega-3 and fiber and even the pickiest eater won’t even know it’s in there.
If making muffins, distribute the mixture evenly into a well greased pan and cook in a 350 degree oven for approximately 35 minutes until golden brown. If adding chocolate chips, sprinkle the top of each muffin with a few chips.
If making a loaf pour the mixture into a well greased pan and bake for approximately 55 minutes until golden brown. If adding chocolate chips or nuts, stir into mixture prior to pouring into pan. Use a toothpick to test that the loaf is fully cooked.
Let cool for approximately 10-15 and remove from pan to cool completely. If making multiple batches to freeze, you can put them in plastic freezer bags but I have had better luck storing them in a freezer safe storage container.
These muffins are great for busy morning breakfasts when the kids are back to school and if you do not add nuts, they also make a great snack to send in their lunches.
Banana Flax Seed Muffins
- 2 to 3 bananas very ripe, peeled
- 1/3 cup butter melted
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp flax seeds
- 1 pinch salt
- 3/4 cup sugar I used a combination of brown and white sugar
- 1 large egg beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cup flour I used a combination of whole wheat and white
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips Optional
- Preheat oven to 350. Add remaining ingredients and mix well.
- In a large mixing bowl, mash up bananas.
- Add remaining ingredients and mix well.
- In a well greased pan, add mixture. If making muffins, cook for approximately 35 minutes until golden brown or a toothpick comes clean. If making a loaf, cook for approximately 55 minutes.
- Let cool for 10 - 15 minutes in pan Remove from pan and let cool completely.